Thursday, May 8, 2008

La Part des Anges

Liam: LWTB this week brings us across the pond. When I say "us" I of course mean Liam and Jeannette! I wasn't sure if I was going to do one this week, but then we went to a little tiny restaurant in Montmartre, and it was so good I just couldn't resist.

La Part des Anges
Bistrot à Vins
13 rue Chappe
Montmartre
Paris
01 46 06 69 80


You can't miss it!

Technically, it wasn't lunch. However, it was 2:15 pm in Seattle when we sat down to eat, so it was lunchtime somewhere. We had walked by this place earlier in the evening, and I had a good feeling about it. It's about the size of a small jail cell, so I knew I would like it. The place was packed, both inside and out (it had 3 tables on the sidewalk), so we had to wait half an hour for a table. When our table finally opened up, we had to wait for two chairs to show up. A woman came running from across the street, I think out of her apartment, with our two chairs. She may have been related to the chef/owner. We're not sure. There were only two people working in the restaurant, a waiter and a chef.

Chalkboard, kitchen, chef

Enough of the backstory, get to the food already, bitch!

Ok. The menu was just written in chalk on a black board. You could order sort of a package deal:
19.50 (euros) for one entree and one plat (or one plat and one dessert), or 7 euros per entree and 14 euros per plat. We opted for one entree and plat, plus one other entree.

Jeannette ordered her entree - Terrine de la mere "Micheline" - pork and chicken livers ground into a chunky paté. Oh my gosh, it was so delicious. Chunky and porky and livery and oh so good.

For my entree, I ordered Rilettes de crevettes au gingenbre et curry. Three little mounds of ground up shrimp with ginger and curry. The chef told us that he just kind of made it up. Since the weather was getting so warm, he wanted to make something light and refreshing. It was excellent! Just a hint of ginger and curry and it was very refreshing.

I could have stopped there, for sure, but no. For our main dish, which we shared, I ordered the Souris d'Agneau confite aux aromates. A bowl of gravy/confit with mashed potato, carrot, and a nice big yummy leg of lamb. The flavors were amazing...cardamom, cumin, herbes de Provence. Every bite was a little lamb-y/gravy-y/potato-y explosion in my mouth! The picture doesn't do it justice because my phone kinda sucks for taking pictures.

Deliciousness makes my glasses go all caddywumpus!

To top it off, we asked the waiter for a wine recommendation, and he brought us a Côtes du Rhone that was excellent!

We also decided to get dessert. It was strawberries and raspberries with cream, warmed in the oven. And again, really good!

10/10 I say. There was nothing bad about this meal. Nothing! I just wish Jacob could have enjoyed it with us, to make it an official LWTB meal.




No comments: