Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant

Liam: This week takes us to Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant.

Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
2800 E Cherry St Ste A

Seattle, WA 98122-5007

Phone:
(206) 322-8565

A Rock-Hewn Church in Lalibela.

This area of Seattle has many Ethiopian restaurants, but Jacob had been to Lalibela before, so he could vouch for it's goodness. Because of this, and because I'm quite fond of ethiopian food, I was pretty sure I was going to like eating here. Joining us today were friends Mark and Joe.

Hungry? Grumpy? The Living Dead?

Jacob: Apparently Lalibela used to be the capitol of Ethiopia a long long time ago, and sometime back in the 12th Century, the Ethiopian Christians living there carved these churches directly into the mountain rock. Look it up on the InTarNets - it's pretty amazing.

Liam: We sat down in the non-descript little place and Jacob went ahead and ordered for us. He ordered the vegetable plate, the Doro Wat, Zilzil Tibs and Yebeg Tibs. A nice 3 meat meal for us all to share, served on a big flat piece of spongy injera.

Zilzil Tibs.

What can I say. Everything was delicious. One thing about eating food that's so good is that there isn't much to say about it except it's effin' good! I suppose I could talk about the perfect balance of spices in the lamb, and the slight spicey burn of the chicken, but it would be me attempting to be a bullshitter. One nice touch to the Doro Wat were the two hard-boiled eggs that came with it. That whole chicken and egg thing happening right in front of you.

Silverware is for silly people.

One thing I love about this food is the lack of silverware, unless you count a piece of injera as your knife and fork. It's how food should be eaten...with fingers. My paws are going to smell like Ethiopia for the rest of the day, and that's good!

I'm going to give Lalibela a 9/10.

Jacob: Like Liam said, I had been here before -- many times, actually, so I knew what to expect. I hadn't been here in a while, though, and I was glad that it was still excellent. The Yebeg Tibs and Zilzil Tibs were absolutely excellent - I could eat that every day.

The Doro Wat I had never had before, and it was a bit awkward (but fine) to eat chicken drumsticks covered in yummy mysterious blackish gravy with your injera bread, but the hardboiled eggs were cool. It sounds weird, I guess, to say that, but I'm just not used to seeing whole peeled, hardboiled eggs in a big bowl of drumsticks and black gravy. It's like Easter...but not.

I would give Lalibela a 9 out of 10 as well, which is just as good in my book as perfect.

No comments: